Providence House, Inc./Brooklyn, NY
Providence House, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph that helps transform the lives of homeless, abused, and formerly incarcerated women and their children – one family at a time. With an annual budget of approximately $4.9 million, our services and programs provide shelter and support through our network of transitional residences, individual apartments and permanent supportive housing located in Brooklyn, Queens and New Rochelle, New York. Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness and return to incarceration by assisting our residents to obtain education and training, learn job skills, gain employment, and, ultimately, find a permanent home for their families. Over the past three decades, more than 14,000 women and children have benefited from our various programs.
The Director of Finance is responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate recording of all financial transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for nonprofit entities and for tax credit financed permanent residences ensuring that all financial activities adhere to the highest standards of internal control.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversee all financial transactional activity, including accounts payable, accounts receivables, cash management, COBRA billing, payroll and Medicaid billing. Monitor and project cash flow.
• Manage the annual audit of organization's books and records by the independent auditors engaged by the Board for that purpose and manage other periodic external audits by government or other entities.
• Ensure that all Federal and State tax documents are filed on time.
• Ensure that all financial transactions and journal entries are recorded both timely and accurately in accordance with organization policies and GAAP.
• Approve payables for disbursement based on Accounts Payable Aging Schedule.
• Ensure accounts receivable schedule is analyzed and outstanding balances are collected.
• Approve wire transfers for payroll and accounts payable.
• Review and approves monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts; ensures that all reconciling items are resolved on a timely basis.
• Develop and conduct a month-end general ledger closing process to ensure that records accurately reflect accrual balances, including, but not limited to, investment accounts, contract receivables, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and accumulated depreciation, accounts payable, payroll and benefit accruals, and other accrued expenses.
• Prepare financial statements for review by Executive Director.
• Implement and update the organization's Financial Policy and Procedure Manual and, as circumstance require, work to recommend the development of new procedures or the modification of existing procedures to ensure proper internal controls and management of risk.
• Supervise government contracts and other claims reporting, and monitor claim payments to facilitate accurate and timely reimbursements of expenses, monitor contract budgets to ensure claims are maximized.
• Provide support for fundraising activities, including reconciliation of accounting records with data collected by the Development department, and ensure that any receivables are invoiced, monitored and collected.
• Provide data/prepare and submit financial reports as may be periodically requested to facilitate contract and grant applications and subsequent financial reporting to contractors and other agencies.
• Familiarity with using the NYC HCR Accelerator system for submitting budgets, budget modifications and other required data to City agencies.
• Coordinate the integration of all automated systems and the proper flow of data between systems
• Assist with special projects.
• Design and implement Providence House's annual budget development process, including determination of assumptions and rates; training of executive program and operations staff; estimates of public and private revenues, and cost center specific expenses and overhead allocations.
• Ensure the budget is promptly and accurately incorporated into accounting software.
• Perform agency wide budget versus actual variance reporting and analysis on monthly, quarterly, and annual basis by facility and Program and any customized reports needed by the administrative team.
Other Critical Leadership Responsibilities
• Develop positive, collaborative, and constructive working relationships with the Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer and with all departmental directors and staff.
• Maintain the highest level of confidentiality regarding discussions and decisions made by Senior Management and take all required actions to ensure that Finance Staff adhere to these requirements.
• Degree in Accounting, CPA or MBA
• Four years of experience as a Finance Director, Controller or CFO in a non-profit entity with a budget greater than $5 million. Extensive knowledge of GAAP accounting.
• A successful record of supervising the functional areas of payroll, accounts payable, and cash management; experience with the management of automated financial management software.
• A demonstrated record of using analytical skills to produce reports that enhance the financial decision–making capacity of management with a specific emphasis on accounting and system analysis.
• A documented record of increasing management responsibility supported by a reputation for professional integrity.
• An ability and willingness to supervise and mentor subordinate staff to achieve a higher level of professional performance. An ability to function with a minimum of direct supervision but within the strict requirement of agency financial and non-financial policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to make systematic improvement to business processes.
• Proficiency in excel required, relevant accounting software experience is a plus.
• The Director of Finance position is a full time, salaried position. Hours worked will be weekdays at least 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m, or at a mutually agreed-upon schedule. Evening work also may be required. Regular daily (work week) presence is required.
• Office is located in Brooklyn, New York.
Apply To Job
from PostJobsNow.com Jobs http://ift.tt/2naholb